Friday, August 20, 2010

Oregon Coast Trip 2010- Part 2 NEW INFO





After our morning at the zoo we headed into downtown Portland for some lunch before heading to Corvallis to stay with TJ and Erin. TJ told us that he had heard of a place called Voodoo Doughnut, and that he wouldn't mind if we brought one or two with us for him to enjoy later! So, of course we had to check it out- not just to take TJ doughnuts but to enjoy a few for ourselves. While looking for the doughnut shop I noticed three separate groups of people walking along the streets of Portland carrying bright pink bakery boxes. I thought, "there must be a great bakery around here somewhere"- duh! Sure enough, as soon as we walked into Voodoo Doughnut I saw the bright pink bakery boxes stacked on the counter- I know, I know- those boxes hold special meaning but this is a family blog :).



The little mini doughnut bus


Some of our crazy Voodoo doughnut choices- they were all VERY good.


These are the famous Bacon Maple Bars. I didn't taste it. For some reason I just couldn't do it- I LOVE both maple bars and bacon but together like that just gave me a weird feeling. I am told they are really delicious!



Once we arrived at Erin and TJ's place we relaxed. We had dinner on their patio and then went for a walk on the OSU campus after seeing where TJ is working in the Chemistry Department. It was great to see the office/workspace where TJ is basically going to live for the next 5 years while he earns his Master's and PhD.
While we stayed with TJ and Erin, Rowen went swimming in the pool with Grammy and Papa- have I mentioned that Grammy and Papa seem to have oodles of energy?! Rowen seems to have the same energy so they are the perfect threesome :).


The next day we headed to Newport. We spent that day on the beach playing and relaxing, had some great seafood for dinner and we all crashed hard that night after so much fresh air all day.






The next morning we headed to the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport.


Rowen's favorite part of this day was the "touch pool".
In the photo above he is touching a sea star.

We watched the sea lions eat breakfast!


Rowen climbed all over the sea creatures in the play area.


After the aquarium, Grammy and Ro headed back to the hotel for a nap. Since beer is kind of a big deal in our family, the rest of us HAD to go to the Rogue Brewery for beer and appetizers. We all had a pretty good time as you can see below :)! I can't believe I don't have a photo like this of Papa :(.







TJ and Erin had to head back to Corvallis for work but the rest of us stayed another day. We spent the next day at the beach again before heading back to Corvallis for one more night at TJ and Erin's.


Ro with his favorite playmates!
These two grandparents kept Ro so busy- he was thrilled and so were mommy and daddy!


The photo below of Rowen on the beach pretty much sums up how the trip went... fantastic! Ro was an amazing traveler, slept really well in the car, in hotel rooms, and at TJ and Erin's place. He maintained his "potty trained" status the entire trip with zero daytime accidents and only 2 night time accidents out of 5 total nights away from home! We all had so much fun and created lasting family memories together. Thank you to Papa and Grammy for making this trip possible! We all love you so very much.

HURRAY!

2 comments:

Andrew and Olivia said...

Those doughnuts look awesome! I don't know about first thing in the morning but they sure look great for an afternoon snack right about now :)
I love the picture of Rowen digging in the sand!
What aquarium did you go to? Was it good? We are going to the coast this month and I saw there is one in seaside.

Ro and Pax's Mama said...

We went to the aquarium in Newport. It was okay. For some reason Ro wasn't as interested as we thought he would be. He loved the touch pools but other than that he wasn't super interested- surprised us since he loves to talk about sea life. Have fun on your trip! It is the best place to take a kid as I am sure you already know- digging in the sand and just hangin' out on the beach is the best.