Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Roro's First Kite



Flying kites with my dad in the park and on the beach are a few of my most vivid childhood memories. I remember having a few different kites but my dragon kite made a huge impression on me. It was covered with vibrant colors and seemed to be 20 feel long. I'm sure it wasn't quite that big but to a little girl it was enormous! My dad and I (my mom and brother too but I don't see that very clearly for some reason) would go fly it on windy days, I would watch in amazement. I want this same memory for Rowen- it is a simple thing but to a child it is much more. I want Rowen to have fond memories of those simple pleasures in life, like flying a kite with me, eating an ice cream cone on my lap, singing songs with me as he swings, cuddled in bed with lots of blankets reading book after book.
While on vacation Eric mentioned that we really needed to get Rowen his first kite. I completely agreed and so we bought him a simple, inexpensive, colorful kite...


"Wow, is this really mine?"

"I know it is supposed to fly high in the sky but how do I get it there?"


"OK. Mama and Dada, you can help."

"Look! There it goes!"

Helping dada out :)

Rowen's first kite, flying in the cloudy Oregon Coast sky.

2 comments:

Matt Maddy and Clara said...

That is so sweet! I agree the simple memories are the best. I am sure he will remember that kite.

Andrew and Olivia said...

What a great idea! We always flew kites when we went to the beach. I was older when we started going so we had the ones you can make do flips and rolls. I love the picture of rowen pointing in the sky :)